- American Heritage Dictionary. Second College Edition. Boston:
Houghton Mifflin Company, 1985.
- Obesity mars boomer health gains. Online. MSNBC News. 21 May 2002
- Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment
of overweight and obesity in adults. Executive summary. National
Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, June
- Myers MD. Causes of obesity. Online. 13 May 2002. <http://www.weight.com/causes/causes.html>.
- Ruppel Shell E. Don’t tell Stephen O”Rahilly that losing
weight is just a matter of willpower. Discover 2000;21(5).
- Fat-related variation found in chromosomes? Online. ABC News. 21
February 2002. <http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/living/DailyNews/fatgene001219.html>.
- Vogel S. Why we get fat. Discover 1999;20(4).
- The genetics of obesity. Online. Gramma’s House. 7 March 2002.
- Law C. Adult obesity and growth in childhood. BMJ 2001;323:1320-1321.
- Swinburn B, Egger G, Raza F. Dissecting obesogenic environments: the
development and application of a framework for identifying and prioritizing
environmental interventions for obesity. Prev. Med. 1999;29:563-570.
- Critser G. Let them eat fat: the heavy truths about American obesity.
Harper’s Magazine 2000;March:41-47.
- Hunnicutt D. 30 great ideas. Presentation given April 14, 2002, at
West Virginia State Health Education Council annual conference. Omaha,
NE: Wellness Councils of America, 2001.
- Young LR, Nestle M. The contribution of expanding portion sizes to
the US obesity epidemic. Am J Public Health 2002;92:246-249.
- Welk GJ, Blair SN. Physical activity protects against the health risks
of obesity. President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports
Research Digest 2000;3,12:1-5.
- Rowland TW. Adolescence: a ‘risk factor’ for physical
inactivity. President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports
Research Digest 1999;3(6):1-8.
- Andersen RE, Crespo CJ, Bartlett SJ, Cheskin LJ, Pratt M. Relationship
of physical activity and television watching with body weight and level
of fatness among children. JAMA 1998;279:938-942,959-960.
- CDC. National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.
Adolescent and School Health. School health policies and programs
study 2000. Online. 1 April 2002. <http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dash/shpps>.
- 18. CDC. National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health
Promotion. Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System prevalence
data 2000. Online. 26 June 2002.<http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/brfss>.
- West Virginia Bureau for Public Health. Office of Epidemiology and
Health Promotion. 2000 West Virginia behavioral risk factor survey.
Charleston, WV: WVBPH, 2002.
- Chodzko-Zajko WJ. Physical activity and aging: implications for health
and quality of life in older persons. President’s Council
on Physical Fitness and Sports Research Digest 1998;3(4):3.
- West Virginia Bureau of Employment Programs. Research, Information
and Analysis Division. Personal communication. 25 June 2002.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Physical
activity and health: a report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta,
GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1996.
- Blair SN and Leermakers EA. Exercise and weight management. In Handbook
of obesity treatment, ed. by Wadden TA and Stunkard AJ. New York:
The Guilford Press, 2002.
- Visscher TLS and Seidell JC. The public health impact of obesity.
Annu Rev Public Health 2001;22:355-375.
- WHO, International Obesity Task Force, International Association
for the Study of Obesity. The Asian-Pacific perspective: redefining
obesity and its treatment. Australia: Health Communications, 2000.
- Dietz WH, Robinson TN. Use of the body mass index(BMI) as a measure
of overweight in children and adolescents. J Pediatr 1998;132(2).
- Barlow SE, Dietz WH. Obesity evaluation and treatment: expert committee
recommendations. Pediatrics 1998;102:e29.
- Little P, Byrne CD. Abdominal obesity and the “hypertriglyceridaemic
waist” phenotype. BMJ 2001;322:687-689.
- Flegal KM, Carrol MD, Kuczmarski RJ, Johnson CL. Overweight and obesity
trends in the United States: prevalence and trends, 1960-1994. Int
J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1998;22:39-47.
- Mokdad AH, Serdula MK, Dietz WH, Bowman BA, Marks JS, Koplan JP. The
spread of the obesity epidemic in the United States, 1991-1998. JAMA
- National Center for Health Statistics. Division of Data Services.
Prevalence of overweight among children and adolescents: United States,
1999. Online. NCHS Health E-Stats.<http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/pubs>.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for obesity. In Guide
to clinical preventive services, 2nd ed. Washington, DC: U.S. Department
of Health and Human Services, Office of Disease Prevention and Health
- Strauss RS, Pollack HA. Epidemic increase in childhood overweight,
1986-1998. JAMA 2001;286:2845-2848.
- Caterson ID. Obesity, part of the metabolic syndrome. Clin Biochemist
- Canadian Association of Cardiac Rehabilitation. An interview with
Gerald Reaven: Syndrome X: the risks of insulin resistance. Online.
- Srinivasan SR, Myers L, Berenson GS. Predictability of childhood adiposity
and insulin for developing insulin resistance syndrome (Syndrome X)
in young adulthood. Diabetes 2002;51:204-209.
- Vanhala MJ, Vanhala PT, Keinanen-Kiukaanniemi SM, Kumpusalo EA, Takala
JK. Relative weight gain and obesity as a child predict metabolic syndrome
as an adult. Int J Obes 1999;23:656-659.
- Study links weight and diabetes in kids. Online. ABC News. 15 March
- Dietz WH. Overweight and precursors of type 2 diabetes mellitus in
children and adolescents. J Pediatr 2001;138(4).
- Kushner RF. Managing obesity: a call to action. Presentation given
to the Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy in Minneapolis on April 28,
- Colditz GA, Willett WC, Rotnitzky A, Manson JE. Weight gain as a risk
factor for diabetes mellitus in women. Ann Intern Med 1995;122:481-486.
- Chan JM, Rimm EB, Colditz GA, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC. Obesity, fat
distribution, and weight gain as risk factors for clinical diabetes
in men. Diabetes Care 1994;17:961-969.
- Boyle JP, Honeycutt AA, Venkat Narayan KM, Hoerger TJ, Geiss LS, Chen
H, Thompson TJ. Projection of diabetes burden through 2050. Diabetes
- King DS, Wofford MR. Obesity and hypertension. Drug Topics
- Mertens IL, Van Gaal LF. Overweight, obesity, and blood pressure:
the effects of modest weight reduction. Obes Res 2000;8:270-278.
- Huang Z, Willet WC, Manson JE, Rosner B, Stampfer MJ, Speizer FE,
Colditz GA. Body weight, weight change, and risk for hypertension in
women. Ann Intern Med 1998;128:81-88.
- Freedman DS, Dietz WH, Srinivasan SR, Berenson GS. The relation of
overweight to cardiovascular risk factors among children and adolescents:
the Bogalusa Heart Study. Pediatrics 1999;103:1175-1182.
- Khaodhiar L, McCowen KC, Blackburn GL. Obesity and its comorbid
conditions. Clin Cornerstone 1999;2:17-31.
- Myers MD. Complications of obesity. Online. 13 May 2002.
- Must A, Spadano J, Coakley EH, Field AE, Colditz G, Dietz WH. The
disease burden associated with overweight and obesity. JAMA
- Visser M, Bouter LM, McQuillan GM, Wener MH, Harris TB. Elevated C-reactive
protein levels in overweight and obese adults. JAMA 1999;282:2131-2135
- Visser M, Bouter LM, McQuillan GM, Wener MH, Harris TB. Low-grade
systemic inflammation in overweight children. Pediatrics 2001;107:e13.
- Field AE, Barnoya J, Colditz GA. Epidemiology and health and economic
consequences of obesity. In Handbook of obesity treatment,
ed. by Wadden TA and Stunkard AJ. New York: The Guilford Press, 2002.
- Hubert HB, Feinleib M, McNamara PM, Castelli WP. Obesity as an independent
risk factor for cardiovascular disease: a 26-year follow-up of participants
in the Framingham Heart Study. Circulation 1983;67:968-977.
- Sheth SG, Gordon FD, Chopra S. Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Ann
Intern Med 1997;126:137-145.
- Most in U.S. unaware of cancer-obesity link. Online. CNN News. 12
July 2002. <http://www.cnn.com/2002/HE...fitness/07/11/obesity.cancer/index.html>.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Overweight and obesity:
a major public health issue. Prevention Report 2001;16.
- Asthma and obesity ‘link.’ Online. BBC News. 15 March
- Loube DI, Loube AA, Erman MK. Continuous positive airway pressure
treatment results in weight loss in obese and overweight patients with
obstructive sleep apnea. J Am Dietetic Assoc 1997;97:896-897.
- Pseudotumor cerebri. Health illustrated encyclopedia. Online.
18 June 2002. University of Pennsylvania Health System.<http://www.pennhealth.com/ency/article/000351.htm>.
- Myers MD. Obesity and binge eating disorder. Online. 13 May 2002.
- Obesity and depression. Online. OBGYN.net: Women and Patients’
Forums. 18 June 2002. <http://forums.obgyn.net/pcos/PCOS.0111'0456.html>.
- The worldwide obesity epidemic - a review. Online. IndexMedico. 10
May 2002. <http://www.indexmedico.com/english/obesity/obreview.htm>.
- Averett S, Korenman S. The economic reality of the beauty myth. J
Human Resour 1996;31:304-330.
- Frankenfield G. Obesity plus low self-esteem may lead to risky behavior
in teens. Online. WebMDHealth. 18 March 2002. <http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1728.54128>.
- Allison DB, Fontaine KR, Manson JE, Stevens J, VanItallie TB. Annual
deaths attributable to obesity in the United States. JAMA 1999;282:1530-1538.
- Calle EE, Thun MJ, Petrelli JM, Rodriguez C, Heath CW. Body-mass index
and mortality in a prospective cohort of U.S. adults. N Engl J Med
- Manson JE, Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA, Hunter DJ, Hankinson
SE, Hennekens CH, Speizer FE. Body weight and mortality among women.
N Engl J Med 1998;333:677-685.
- Wolf AM, Colditz GA. Current estimates of the economic cost of obesity
in the United States. Obes Res 1998;6:97-106[Abstract].
- Obesity claims over 4% of US healthcare money. Online. Applesforhealth.
6 June 2002.
- Quesenberry CP Jr, Caan B, Jacobson A. Obesity, health services use,
and health care costs among members of a health maintenance organization.
Arch Intern Med 1998;158:466-472.
- Thompson D, Brown JB, Nichols GA, Elmer PJ, Oster G. Body mass index
and future healthcare costs: a retrospective study. Obes Res
- Obesity worse for health than smoking. Online. MSNBC News. 12 March
- Thompson D. Health economic aspects of obesity. Presentation for Policy
Analysis, Inc., Brookline, MA, nd.
- Wang G, Dietz WH. Economic burden of obesity in youths aged 6 to
17 years: 1979-1999. Pediatrics 2002;109:e81. Online. <http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/109/5/e81>.
- Obesity strains health care system. Online. MSNBC News. 1 May 2002.
- Institute of Medicine. Weighing the options. Washington,
DC: National Academy Press, 1995.
- Weight cycling: in some, the benefits of weight loss outweigh the
risks. Online. National Institute of Diabetes & Digestive &
Kidney Diseases. 31 July 2002. <http://niddk.nih.gov/welcome/releases/10_18_94.htm
- 79. Leibel RL, Rosenbaum M, Hirsch J. Changes in energy expenditure
resulting from altered body weight. N Engl J Med 1995;332:621-628.
- Liebman B. Defensive eating. Nutr Action Health Letter 2001;28:1-13.
- Wing RR, Hill JO. Successful weight loss maintenance. Annu Rev
Nutr 2001;21:323-341 [Abstract].
- Dickerson LM. Drug therapy for obesity. Am Fam Physician 2000;61:2131-2138.
- Bray GA. Drug therapy of obesity. Online. 15 July 2002.
- Obesity treatments. Online. 15 July 2002.
- Myers MD. Surgical treatment of obesity. Online. 13 May 2002.
- Obesity surgery surging in popularity. Online. CNN News. 29 April
- Campbell C. Breast feeding is important. Letters. BMJ 2000;320:1401.
- Fight childhood obesity: turn off the TV. Online. USA Today. 15 March
- Perry CL, Lytle LA, Feldman H. Effects of the child and adolescent
trial for cardiovascular health (CATCH) on fruit and vegetable intake.
Nutr Res Newsletter 1998;30:354-360.
- Sorenson G, Stoddard A, Hunt MK, Hebert JR, Ockene JK, Avrunin JS,
Himmelstein J, Hammond SK. The effects of a health promotion-health
protection intervention on behavior change: the WellWorks Study. Am
J Public Health 1998;88:1685-1690.
- Reger B, Wootan MG, Booth-Butterfield S. A comparison of different
approaches to promote community-wide dietary change. Am J Prev Med
- Krummel DA, Gordon P, Newcomer RR, Lui X, Christy DM, Holmes A. Dietary
intakes and leisure-time physical activity in West Virginians. The
West Virginia Medical Journal 2001;97:295-301.
- Committee on Diet and Health. Diet and health: implications of reducing
chronic disease risk. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1989.
- West Virginia Bureau for Medical Services. Unpublished Medicaid claims
data, FY2001. Charleston, WV: 2002.
- Public Employees Insurance Agency. Unpublished claims data, FY2001.
Charleston, WV: 2002.
- West Virginia Bureau for Public Health. A
healthier future for West Virginia: healthy people 2010. Charleston,
WV: West Virginia Bureau for Public Health, Office of Epidemiology and
Health Promotion, 2000.
- CDC. Nutrition and Physical Activity Work Group. Guidelines
for comprehensive programs to promote healthy eating and physical activity.
Champlain, IL: Human Kinetics, 2002.
- West Virginia Bureau for Public Health. The
burden of cardiovascular disease in West Virginia.charleston,
WV; West Virginia Bureau for Public Health, Office of Epidemiology and
Health Promotion, 2001.