Vision, Mission, Core Values
Goals, Objectives & Strategies
THEMES FROM BPH ASSESSMENTS
Looking at a variety of data and information, the following broad themes/trends
were noted as critical for consideration in BPH planning and setting of
A tighter fiscal environment is anticipated.
Realization of fewer and fewer state resources in West Virginia and other
states in coming years. Serious cuts are likely.
Several critical workforce issues emerge:
- Aging of PH workforce-significant percent of staff eligible for retirement
in next five years.
- Critical need to be able to recruit and retain qualified workforce.
- Enhanced skills for workforce of future-planning, management, process
- Need for incentives/rewards/recognition/ career development.
- Employee wellness issues-need to serve as a role model for healthy
Room for process improvements exist.
Certain processes could be streamlined. Some are within our jurisdiction
to change, others not.
Increasing focus nationally and in state on accountability-fiscal
Several facility issues are present or emerging:
Need to evaluate impact of work/be able to track progress on processes
and outcomes beyond simply services delivered.
- making office/work site more user-friendly to employees and customers
- safety (OLS, OCME, etc.)
Setting clear organizational direction, communicating this clearly,
and enhancing skills to accomplish it is important.
- Importance of all knowing and living by vision/mission/values
- Importance of working collaboratively towards defined organizational
- Need organizational planning and planning skills to be a routine
part of what we do at all levels
- Internal communication critical-what's happening within DHHR; why
actions taken, etc.
The image/understanding of public health is important and needs
Need internal and external marketing: Helping all understand public health
mission, how it impacts them, and how they fit in.
New issues are emerging that require or benefit from cross-bureau
and cross-agency collaboration.
Bioterrorism, Birth to Three, Emerging Infectious Diseases, Disease
State Management, etc.
There is interest in and a need to be more customer focused.
This is a priority of the administration; interest in and need for this
expressed by staff throughout organization.
Maximizing internal and external partnerships and opportunities
to network is critical.
Learned and heard the value of this through the planning process; feel
this will be even more critical given current fiscal environment.