Message from the Commissioner
Table of Contents
Section I. Prevalence
Section II. WV Cigarette Consumption
Section III. Deaths in WV due to Smoking
Section IV. Health Care Costs Related to Smoking
TOBACCO IS KILLING (AND COSTING) US
A Report on Tobacco Use Rates, Smoking-Related Deaths,
and Smoking-Related Health Care Costs in West Virginia
- Miller VP, Ernst C, Collin F. Smoking-attributable medical care costs in the USA. Social Science and Medicine 48:375-91.
- Miller LS, Zhang X, Novotny T, Rice DP, Max W. State estimates of Medicaid expenditures attributable to cigarette smoking, fiscal year 1993. Public Health Reports, Vol. 11, March/April 1998: 140-8.
- West Virginia Bureau for Public Health. 2003 Behavioral Risk Factor Survey Report. Charleston, WV: West Virginia Bureau for Public Health, Office of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, 2005.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Youth risk behavior surveillance – United States, 2003. In: Surveillance Summaries, May 21, 2004. MMWR 2004;53(No. SS-2).
- West Virginia Department of Tax and Revenue, Tax Commission. West Virginia cigarette excise tax collection history. 2004. Unpublished data.
- The Tax Burden on Tobacco: Historical Compilation, 2004. Vol. 39. Arlington, VA: Orzechowski and Walker, 2005.
- Haddix AC, Teutch SM, Shaffer PA, Dunet DO. Prevention Effectiveness: A Guide to Decision Analysis and Economic Evaluation. New York: Oxford University Press, 1996.